Driver Licensing

Obtaining or Renewing

You may obtain or renew your driver’s license at any State substation or at the Department of Motor Vehicles located at:

154 Main Street
Salem, NH03079

New Residents

New residents should be prepared to present the following:

  • Present a valid out-of-state license, which must be surrendered.
  • The following forms of identification: an original birth certificate or certified copy, a valid passport, or a valid military ID.
  • Proof of residency, acceptable forms include: a valid New Hampshire registration, a Town/City Clerk approval of residency, or a postmarked utility bill showing the service address.

Real ID information

On January 3, 2017, the New Hampshire DMV began offering Driver Licenses and Non-Driver Identification Cards that are compliant with federal requirements, also referred to as REAL ID compliant identification. You are not required to obtain REAL ID compliant identification, since other forms of identification, such as a Passport, will be accepted for domestic air travel and for other federal purposes, such as entering secure federal facilities. Your current Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card will continue to be accepted for those purposes until October 1, 2020.

Should you wish to get a REAL ID compliant Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card, you must apply in person (whether renewing or applying for the first time) and proof of your identity and your NH residency will be required. Please visit our list of required documents for a REAL ID compliant Driver License or Non-Driver Identification card. If you choose not to get a REAL ID compliant Driver License or Non-Driver Identification card (non-compliant), the card that is mailed to you will indicate "Not For Federal Identification."

For information regarding New Hampshire issued REAL ID compliant Driver Licenses and Non-Driver Identification cards, please visit our REAL ID FAQs page. For more information regarding the federal requirements of REAL ID, please visit the Department of Homeland Security FAQs.


Currently, the fee for a standard Operator License is $50. Additional fees are charged for Motorcycle and Commercial endorsements. Drivers under the age of eighteen (18) are required to complete a Driver Education Course, and show parental or guardian consent. Driver’s Licenses are valid for a term of five (5) years, expiring at midnight on the licensee's birthday.

Operating Hours

The Department of Motor Vehicles in Salem is open from 8:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday, and you may contact Driver Licensing in Concord at 603-271-2371 for more information.