Absentee Voters

Please Note:  Windham has no wards

To track your absentee ballot:  State of New Hampshire Voter Information website

Contact us immediately if you discover that an absentee ballot request or your ballot has not been received by the office.  

Who Can Obtain an Absentee Ballot

Please keep in mind you need to be a registered voter in order to obtain an Absentee Ballot.  The following voters can obtain an absentee ballot:

  • If you will be absent from Windham during the Election;
  • You cannot appear in public because of observance of a religious commitment;
  • You are unable to vote in person by reason of a physical disability; this would include any medical condition where medical advice is that the voter not go out in public. This includes a voter who is quarantined, including self- quarantine, for any reason related to Covid-19 (this includes concerns about exposure to infection or exposing others). Compliance with general medical advice issued to the public by health officials is sufficient, individualized advice from the voter’s personal physician is not required. Current general medical advice is that all household members of a person self-quarantined for cause, also self-quarantine. 
  • You cannot appear at any time during polling hours at my polling place because of an employment obligation. *For the purposes of this application, the term “employment” shall include the care of children and infirm adults, with or without compensation.
  • You are a victim of domestic violence, have an active protective order, or are participating in the Attorney General’s address confidentiality program; 
  • You are an emergency services worker called into service under the circumstances set forth in RSA 657:21-a.
  • * If the National Weather Service issues a winter storm warning, blizzard warning, or ice storm warning for Election day, then you may vote by absentee ballot on the Monday immediately prior to the Election (day before the election) if you meet any of the following criteria:
  •  You are elderly, infirm, or have a physical disability, and you have concerns for your safety traveling in the storm; or
  • You care for children or infirm adults and you reasonably anticipate that school, child care, or adult care will be canceled due to the storm, and you will  be deterred from voting by the need to care for children or infirm adults.

Requesting For an Absentee Ballot

You can obtain an Absentee Ballot by submitting the request in person, by faxing to 603-965-1275, emailing to: townclerk@windhamnh.gov, and by mailing it to 3 North Lowell Road, Windham NH, 03087 to the Town Clerk’s attention.  

We can’t issue ballots to anyone but to the voter themselves (not even to relatives or spouses).

To increase the likelihood the absentee ballot arrives on time, we recommend requesting and mailing your ballot back as soon as possible.

Returning Your Absentee Ballot

An absentee voter may mail their ballot, hand deliver to a Town Clerk staff member, or have a delivery agent deliver your ballot on behalf of you. 

Please note:  Due to safety and security, we don't have a drop box to submit your ballot.

Who can deliver your ballot?  Delivery Agents:

See RSA 657:17: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXIII/657/657-17.htm 

Family members

Nursing home/elder care facility administrators

Anyone assisting a voter with a disability  

Deadline for Absentee Ballots

The deadline for returning absentee ballots by the voter themselves in person or delivery agent (bring your ID-additional form will need to be completed) is 5 p.m. the day (Monday) before the Election.

We will accept absentee ballots that are postmarked and mailed to us or given to us by a delivery agent (bring your ID- additional form will need to be completed) by 5 p.m. on Election Day.  

Military and Overseas Voters

For detailed information, and frequently asked questions go to: Request Absentee Ballot | New Hampshire Secretary of State (nh.gov) 

Absentee Voter Registration

If you meet the state’s requirements and qualifications and are unable to register in person because of physical disability, religious beliefs, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail when any Election is approaching.   Contact townclerk@windhamnh.gov and give us a detailed request as to why you don’t have the ability to come in and register to vote in person. Include the address to where we shall mail the voter registration packet directly to you. 

This packet includes an affidavit, voter registration form, and other required documents that you must read and complete in its entirety.  The absentee voter registration affidavit must be witnessed by another individual, and the absentee ballot request must be completed in full and mailed back to the office (by Election Day at 5:00pm), along with any supporting documents and the completed ballot (if applicable).