Local Drought Conditions
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 4, 2021
David Sullivan, Town Administrator 603 432-7732; TownAdmin@WindhamNH.gov
MANDATORY WATER USE RESTRICTION
Beginning Sunday May 9, the Town of Windham will implement town-wide mandatory restrictions on outdoor lawn watering. These restrictions apply to all* residential and commercial private well owners and public water systems.
To address the ongoing drought conditions, the Town of Windham in accordance with policy #WIN 2:00:27:16, “Regulation Restricting Outdoor Lawn Watering”, has implemented the following restrictions to help conserve our water resources:
Per Section IV, Sub-section A. Level 1
- Outdoor lawn watering by odd numbered addresses is allowed on odd numbered days.
- Outdoor lawn watering by even numbered addresses is allowed on even numbered days.
- Outdoor lawn watering shall not occur between the hours of 8AM and 8PM.
Please note these restrictions pertain to the watering of lawn areas through irrigation, sprinklers, hoses, etc., and are not intended to prohibit the periodic watering of vegetable, herb or flower gardens.
If applicable, it is important to reprogram your sprinkler system to the restriction set forth above. If you are a Pennichuck customer, please ensure you are also conforming to any additional restrictions they may have implemented.
Violations should be reported to the Windham Police at 603 434-5577. In accordance with the 1995 Board of Selectmen directive, complainants’ information will be kept confidential.
- First violation: Warning
- Second violation: $200 fine
- Additional violations: $1,000 fine
The Town of Windham appreciates your effort and cooperation with these mandatory restrictions in an effort to sustain our drinking water supply during these dry conditions. Monitor www.WindhamNH.gov and the Windham Independent for further guidance and updates.
* Per Section VII, the following are exempt: grass playing turf of a recreational field; grass playing surfaces of a golf course, and; grass agricultural fields, including fields used for the production of sod.
We encourage residents to bookmark the US/State Drought Monitor, which is updated each Thursday, for current drought conditions.