It's The Law - You Must Have a Permit To Burn
A burning permit is required before kindling any type of outside fire, regardless of weather conditions. Permits will be issued annually, upon request, to property owners or to tenants over the age of 18 having written permission from the property owner.
Permit holders then need only contact the Station prior to burning to confirm their activities. Remember always to use safe practices when burning:
- Check the day's fire danger.
- Never leave a fire unattended or use flammable accelerants.
- Always have a hose, rake or shovel ready to assist with fully extinguishing the fire.
Learn more about RSA 227-L:17 and Res 5600 (PDF) or visit the NH Division of Forests and Lands website for more information.
What You Can Burn
Clean, ordinary combustibles including:
- Wood and brush less than 5 inches in diameter
- Campfire wood
- Charcoal (on the ground).
When You Can Burn
Permitted burn times vary by category of fire. A Category I fire may be kindled with a permit at any time whether raining or not. Category II or Category III fires may only be kindled with a permit between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. unless it is raining. If it ceases raining, you must extinguish the fire immediately and wait until after 5 p.m. to re-kindle it. In all cases, there must be someone with the fire at all times until the fire is fully extinguished (emitting no flames, smoke, or heat). Remember, a buried fire is not an extinguished fire.
Where You Can Burn
In addition to burn permits, the following items and services are available at the Windham Fire Department. Several of the permits/inspections listed are required by law, and individuals are encouraged to contact the Department at 603-434-4907 to ensure proper compliance with local, state, and/or federal regulations.
- Above Ground LPG 300-plus Gallons
- Automatic Fire Extinguishing System
- Bank Smoke Detectors Certification
- Blasting Permits
- Combustible Material
- Day Cares - Center, Family or Group
- Fire Alarm Commercial
- Fire Pumps
- Flammable Finishes
- Flammable / Combustible Liquid Storage
- Gas Burner and Water Heater
- Oil Burner and Water Heater
- Place of Assembly
- Public Fireworks Display
- Sprinkler System
- Underground Tank Installation
- Underground Tank Removal
- Un-Vented Space Heater
- Vented Space Heater
- Wood / Coal Stove