The trustees of the Windham Museum actively work to preserve, research, and display the museum's significant collection of artifacts that tell the story of Windham. Spanning several centuries, the comprehensive collection includes historical documents, photos, signs, and a vast array of relics used by generations of Windham residents.
Harris Family Collection
The Harris family played a significant role in the town of Windham during the 19th century. Members of the family were prominent in religious, educational, and government affairs. Reverend Samuel Harris, the patriarch of the family, was born in Ashburnham, Massachusetts August 18, 1774 and died in Windham September 5, 1848. In June of 1805 he was ordained and installed by the Presbytery of Londonderry as the first full time pastor of the new meetinghouse in Windham which was built in 1798 (now the Town Hall). He served as pastor until September of 1826 earning $400.00 a year as his annual salary. He was also one of the first three trustees of the circulating library, was on the Committee for Inspecting the Schools, and was a member of the School Committee. He lived in Windham until his death in 1828.
They lived on the Harris Homestead which was located on Indian Rock Road just about where the Village Bean is today. Reverend Samuel passed the homestead to his son, William Calvin Harris and then to his grandchildren, William Samuel Harris, and Mary Ella Harris Worledge. It remained in the Harris family until 1926.