Windham Senior Center
The Windham Seniors, Inc. was established to provide for the social and recreational needs of senior citizens in Windham and our adjoining towns.
While other area communities provide these types of services through the Town government, we are able to offer them with little or no cost to the taxpayer through volunteer efforts. The Town provides us with our facility and utilities, while we oversee the interior upkeep and cleaning. Some senior activities are funded via money appropriated in the Recreation Budget.
The Senior Center is also utilized, most evenings, by our local scouting groups, the Lions Club, and other non-profit groups who have obtained permission from the President of the Windham Seniors.
The Center is blessed with many dedicated volunteers who work tirelessly on our behalf - some of whom are in their 90s. The Seniors are always looking for new members, and encourage our younger seniors to participate. You qualify for membership at 55 years of age, and dues are only $10 per year. We are a friendly, welcoming group, and the coffee is always hot! Come check us out, we're sure you'll like what you find!
The following is just a sampling of some of our activities:
- Card games are usually underway just after 10 a.m. (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Lunch, provided by Rockingham Nutrition, is served. Donation for the meal is $2. (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Bingo (Tuesdays) begins at 1 p.m. and lasts until 4 p.m..
- Health Checks with a nurse are available at 11 a.m. on the last Wednesday of each month (except July, August, and December). Call for information.
- An Annual Senior Picnic, hosted by the Town, is held each summer. The Picnic is free to all Windham Seniors.
- The Windham Recreation Department hosts the Senior Christmas Party each year at Castleton. You can also call the Recreation Office at 603-965-1208 for more information. A limited amount of tickets are normally available in November for the December party.
- The Town provides resident seniors with van transportation to/from medical or similar appointments. Also, a weekly grocery trip to Wal-Mart is held each Wednesday, weather permitting. Contact Cheryl Haas at 603-432-7732 for more information.
- The Recreation Department offers exercise classes at The Senior Center. Classes are offered 4 days a week. Join us on Thursdays for Line Dance. You can call the Recreation Office at 603-965-1208 for more information.